On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:49:41 -0500, Bob Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Undervotes are represented by vote cards which
> have no punches for a presidential candidate -- at
> least none that were detected by tabulating
> machines. It is reported that there are some 28000
> of these in the three contentious Florida
> counties.
>
> Because these counties seem to have favored Gore
> more than Bush (by 69%,54% and 64%), the Democrats
> believe that manual inspection of these cards will
> result in votes for Gore. The Republicans fear
> this. Is there any statistical justification for
> these views?

 - Here is what I posted on the 12th, where I suggested your V was
small for some others, but about .5  for Palm Beach County....

"With 10,000 no-punches where only half that many no-votes should be
expected (in Palm Beach County), they re-counted a 1% sample and came
up with 47 additional votes -- about half of the 100 or so that were
possible, and consistent with the number of no-votes that typically
are seen.  There was no report of how many no-punches had existed.
Gore gained, as he was expected to, because Gore carried the county by
almost 2-to-1. "

That's why I thought the re-count was a slam-dunk for Gore, and
(therefore) why the sec't'y of state had to oppose it to salvage a
Bush victory.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html