"Anon." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > But do not rush to a proportional system.  It can have very
> > bad consequences, as can be seen from Israel and Italy, and
> > which was the case in France until de Gaulle reformed the
> > structure of the government.
>
> It works fine in Scandinavia.  The Swedish People's Party in
> Finland has been in power since independence (I think), as part
> of whatever coalition was in charge.  It works well if the
> climate is one of bi-partisanship, and the Italian and Israeli
> politicians never give the impression of calm moderation.

Yes, it works nicely in Norway too.  We have a proportional system
and Norway is a very politically stable country.

At least for the last decades, no single party has had the
majority of the seats in the parliament, so the parties have to
build coalitions in each case to (hopefully) get the majority of
the votes.

Peter

--
Peter J. Acklam - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.math.uio.no/~jacklam