[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> You could of course have the voters choose which people will be
> elected from each party, instead of letting the parties rank
> their candidates on a list. This is how it works in Finland.

In Norway we do both.  First you pick the list of names belong to
the party for which they want to vote.  Then you are allowed to
change the list, by "striking out" the names (to "score" them
down) or tick the names (to "score" them up).  You can "strike" or
"tick" as many names as you like.  If no names were "striked" or
"ticked", the N first names on the list would have been chosen.
But there is always quite a few who make changes to their lists
and if enough changes are made, the rank made by the party will be
overruled.

Peter

--
Peter J. Acklam - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.math.uio.no/~jacklam