----- Forwarded message from Gene Gallagher -----

There seems to be some misunderstanding in the press about a fundamental
difference between a sample of a larger population and a complete
census.

----- End of forwarded message from Gene Gallagher -----

Possibly, but I don't think the Florida situation is either.  It, and
every election, and the decennial "census" for that matter, are
neither samples nor complete, but rather flawed attempts at a census.
It's not likely they can be modeled well by treating the result as a
large RANDOM sample, but I'm not sure I'd want to rule out ANY type of
statistical model.

It's only a fluke of the electoral college, the media coverage, and
the lawsuits that we are focussed on Florida.  I would liken what is
happening there to the kind of tinkering with an out-of-control
process that Deming spoke against.  What is needed is not more
tinkering but process improvement.

      _
     | |                    Robert W. Hayden
     | |          Work: Department of Mathematics
    /  |                Plymouth State College MSC#29
   |   |                Plymouth, New Hampshire 03264  USA
   | * |                fax (603) 535-2943
  /    |          Home: 82 River Street (use this in the summer)
 |     )                Ashland, NH 03217
 L_____/                (603) 968-9914 (use this year-round)
Map of New        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (works year-round)
Hampshire         http://mathpc04.plymouth.edu (works year-round)

The State of New Hampshire takes no responsibility for what this map
looks like if you are not using a fixed-width font such as Courier.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work." --Thomas Edison