There were two statistical questions considered by
Nicholas Hengartner of Yale. For one, his
conclusions erred because he assumed the wrong
form for the ballot. For the second, he showed
that the undervote ratio between optical scanned
ballots and punched cards was for practical
purposes independent of county and that the
undervotes when punched cards were used was
substantially larger than for scanned ballots. The
failure of his analysis for the first conclusion
had nothing to do with the validity of his second
conclusion.

The second conclusion is of course the important
one for the plaintiffs, and I am sure that the
judge understood it; however, the popular report
may not reflect this since the error was
skillfully produced. It was a masterful cross, and
great theater up to the best of Perry Mason.

For those who may at some time be called upon to
testify on statistical matters, it would be
worthwhile to find a way to view Hengartner's
testimony. It was one of the better such that I
have seen -- for instance, his explanation of the
difference between association and causality was
clear and properly suited to his audience, and his
tactics in resistance to a hypothetical
contingency table analysis was artful.

--
Bob Wheeler --- (Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
        ECHIP, Inc.