Alas, there are no good books. I can recommend
sections from various ones, but there is nothing
that puts it all together. The best, is the first
part of Atkinson and Donev, which is at the right
level, but doesn't cover enough material. Scheffé
is very good, as is Kempthorne and Cochran and
Cox, but these are old books. Box and Hunter, and
Montgomery, are boring and ignore the importance
of algorithmic design. It would be a real
contribution for someone to write a good book in
this area.

dennis roberts wrote:

> At 10:49 AM 1/18/01 -0600, Ken K. wrote:
> >I find BH&H to be quite good, but a little hard to read and getting a little
> >dated. I much prefer "Design and Analysis of Experiments" by Douglas C.
> >Montgomery, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 0-471-52000-4
> >
> >I really like the simple style Montogomery uses in all his books
>
> not disagreeing with the above but, one of the big problems in selecting a
> book on experimental design is ... that appropriate designs DEPEND upon the
> problem(s) being investigated ...
>
> in addition, i have sensed that most "design" books are not really about
> designing experiments but, how to analyze data FROM particular designs ...
> and there IS a large difference
>
> while it may not be too difficult to talk about 1 and 2 and 3 or more
> factor designs ... with blocking variables or not ... with repeated
> measures or not (etc.) ... whether any of these are appropriate again
> depends on the question(s) being asked

> Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
> the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Bob Wheeler --- (Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
        ECHIP, Inc. --- (302) 239-6620, voice and
FAX
           724 Yorklyn Rd., Hockessin, DE 19707
              Randomness comes in bunches