dennis roberts wrote:

> At 05:19 PM 1/25/01 +0000, Gene Gallagher wrote:
>
>>   They conclude that the measurement of change has been and
>> continues to be a highly controversial subject.
>> --
>> Eugene D. Gallagher
>> ECOS, UMASS/Boston
>

> [big snip]
>
> so, when someone asks how much has my child "learned" in vocabulary or
> math .... or CHANGED ... from grade 1 to say ... grade 3 ... or grade 9 ...
>
> we haven't a clue ... and no way to communicate answers to these
> questions to parents, that's for sure (nor maybe even amongst the
> professionals)
>
> sort of sad, isn't it?

Extremely so.  (and my 'kids' are busy having their own kids today, so
my interest in the outcome is fairly long term.)

Which comes back to, we need a measure that many/most parents can
understand, and relate to some vision of 'progress.'  the Massachusetts
schema doesn't look to me to meet this objective very well.
NOw, this group understands that measuring change is technically
difficult.  Either we can find a method that is reasonably clear, or we
let the Mass. schema type thing do its thing.  Not a happy prospect.

Jay
--
Jay Warner
Principal Scientist

Ph:
(262) 634-9100
FAX:
(262) 681-1133
email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
web:
http://www.a2q.com

The A2Q Method (tm) -- What do you want to improve today?