On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Rich Ulrich quoted me:

> DB: > What most people who use "ordinal" and "disordinal" seem to mean
> > is a plot of the cell means (or of regression lines), with no
> > adjustment for main effects:  so, a display that includes the
> > interaction AND the main effects.  I take it that's what you mean
> > here.
                and replied:

> Yes.  Just like "most people,"  I use the definition that has draws a
> distinction, instead of the one that does not.  Why do you prefer the
> one that does not?

Mostly because that was the formal definition given in the textbooks I
learned from, donkey's years ago...  and because I think it useful to be
able to distinguish between main effects and interactions (an interaction
being a systematic effect among cell means (in ANOVA) that is not
accounted for by the main effects in the design;  a corresponding
definition can be written, mutatis mutandis, for regression contexts).

> DB: > Then:  a disordinal display -- of what plot?  (As remarked in a
> > thread a year or two ago, an interaction (displayed as a plot of cell
> > means or of regression lines) may appear ordinal from one direction
> > and disordinal from the other.)

>  - I remember someone claimed that.   (Oui, moi.  -- DB)
> I remember an example that failed to make the point.  I don't
> remember a valid example, or that the point was generally accepted.
>  - I hope this is not a failure of my memory.  But if it's my problem,
> I hope you will reproduce the illustration, or cite it somewhere.

As requested.  Consider the two-way table of cell means below:

         B1   B2
   A1    10   20
   A2    40   30

        40 -         1         40 -  2
           -                      -
        30 -         2         30 -         2
           -                      -
        20 -  2                20 -         1
           -                      -
        10 -  1                10 -  1
           -                      -
         0 ---+------+---         ---+------+---
             A1     A2           B1     B2

Plotting Y-bar vs. A, we have the left-hand diagram (plotting symbols
are levels of B);  plotting Y-bar vs. B, we have the right-hand diagram
above (symbols are levels of A).  The left-hand plot is disordinal
 (B2 > B1 at A1, but B1 > B2 at A2), the right-hand plot is ordinal
 (A1 > A2 at both levels of B).

Rich continues:
> The only effect that is never potentially artifactual is the crossover
> of the means, the Disordinal interaction (as most of us define it).

I take it you must mean, whenever an interaction plot is disordinal in
any orientation?  I have some mild difficulty with this, since AFAIK the
idea of "(dis)ordinal" has not been extended beyond two-way interactions,
and more complex situations may well be of interest...

> That one that can't be explained as measurement error (such as,
> strong regression owing to poor reliability);  scaling (such as,
> ceiling effects);  or "regression" towards the conditional expected
> values (such as, the real-life example I just cited).

 Donald F. Burrill                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                             (603) 535-2597
 Department of Mathematics, Boston University                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 111 Cummington Street, room 261, Boston, MA 02215       (617) 353-5288
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                      (603) 471-7128