On 28 Jan 2001 04:04:04 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konrad
Halupka) wrote:

>Look up three papers which have been previously published in the PCPRo,
>all by the same author, I guess.
>
>http://www.woodleyside.co.uk/stats.htm
>
>(no passwords, but even quoting is "strictly forbidden")

The first of those quotes the McCullough and Wilson paper; that's the
only part of the articles that really has any validity.  The rest is a
fairly ignorant rant about the fact that Excel and VBA are actually
different languages (e.g. precedence of operators is different, so
"-2^2" is interpreted as 4 in one, as -4 in the other).

I've never heard of PCPro, where these articles were printed, but I
assume from the context and style that it's a UK popular computing
magazine.  If that's the case, then I would think *they* should be
pointing out basic things like this:  the fact that operator
precedence does vary from language to language, and so do definitions
of MOD, and ROUND, etc.  Don't blame Microsoft for this.  (But do
blame them for the crappy statistical routines.)

Finally, that copyright notice, which I quote here *without
authorization*:

"All content is Copyright Woodleyside IT Ltd © 2000 unless otherwise
stated. Unauthorised copying, reproduction, emailing, quoting is
strictly forbidden. Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more
information."

What nonsense.  Short quotes from published articles are "fair use".
He has no authority to forbid me to quote that material.

Duncan Murdoch