The formula wich gives the Standard Deviation ,
SD=((x-mean)^2/(n-1))^0.5 ,can be applied to Any data set. When we
have that value we know two things about the set: The Mean and the SD.
With this two values We can have one powerful intuitive use to them:
The "centre" of the set is the mean and 68% of values are in the
interval [mean-SD to mean+SD], IF the set have Normal Distribution. If
we forecast the set distribution is Not Normal What intuitive use have
the values?
Other intuitive definition as that I see in RadioFrequency: The
bandwidth of one amplifier is between the frequencies where the power
decrease to half of the power at the central frequency.
Thank you for any comment,
Best Regards
Ferreira