At 06:16 AM 8/21/01 -0700, RFerreira wrote:
>The formula wich gives the Standard Deviation ,
>SD=((x-mean)^2/(n-1))^0.5 ,can be applied to Any data set. When we
>have that value we know two things about the set: The Mean and the SD.
>With this two values We can have one powerful intuitive use to them:
>The "centre" of the set is the mean and 68% of values are in the
>interval [mean-SD to mean+SD], IF the set have Normal Distribution. If
>we forecast the set distribution is Not Normal What intuitive use have
>the values?

well, maybe the 68% values may not be totally relevant but, remember, the
SD is not just that ... but, a relative spread measure ... so, two
distributions that are not normal ... if one has an SD of 6 and the other
has an SD of 15 ...then the SD values still tell you something about the
spread of scores and variability

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm