On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 04:33:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neville X.
Elliven) wrote:

I don't feel that the practise (where the adjective takes the place of
the adjective + noun) is regrettable. This is one of the ways by which
languages evolve into conciseness.

Anyway, it is a bit late to be regretting the examples you give.

The OED cites the following use of metric as a noun: 1921 Proc. R.
Soc. A. XCIX. 104 "In the non-Euclidean geometry of Riemann, the
metric is defined by certain quantities . . . which are identified by
Einstein with the potentials of the gravitational field."

As for the other examples, 'professional' as a noun was good enough
for Dickens. Milton (1671) uses 'academic' as a noun.