In article <9nh0a7$7brv4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Neville X. Elliven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Richard Wright wrote:

>>On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 04:33:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>(Neville X. Elliven) wrote:

>>I don't feel that the practise (where the adjective takes the place
>>of the adjective + noun) is regrettable. This is one of the ways by
>>which languages evolve into conciseness.

>Wrong, Wright; *you* wrote that. I feel that it's one of the *worst*
>ways the language can be made more concise [evolution be damned]
>because it comes at the cost of a loss of clarity, as experienced by
>Stephen Dubin.

>>Anyway, it is a bit late to be regretting the examples you give.

>It's never too late to regret bad usage.

>>The OED cites the following use of metric as a noun: 1921 Proc. R.
>>Soc. A. XCIX. 104 "In the non-Euclidean geometry of Riemann, the
>>metric is defined by certain quantities . . . which are identified by
>>Einstein with the potentials of the gravitational field."

>A good example of bad usage: *what* metric, *what* quantities?
>The reader should not be left hanging with those questions unanswered.

This is not bad usage at all.  In mathematics, the word
"metric" as a noun refers to a general type of distance,
not necessarily the type in common use.  As an adjective,
it refers to an object for which there is a metric which is
connected to the properties of that object, or where there
is a definite metric involved.  It is usage as a noun which
comes first, with the adjective usage being based on that.
--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558