[EMAIL PROTECTED] (MG) wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Dear all,
>
> sorry for this preliminary question. I tried to explore through the
> texts and web search. But could not understand. So seek your help.
>
> In the identification of step of transfer function model (ARIMA,box
> jenkins), it is said that the shape of cross-correlation diagram give
> some idea about s,r,b (in the notation of box,jenkins book). I could
> understand 'b', but find kind of difficulty to understand how to guess
> s,r.
> Your help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
> Regards
> MG
> p.s. I understand there are some softwares which does the estimation
> process automatically (including identification and diagnosis). My
> concern here is to understand the process.

The process is quite straighforward. Firstly identify the pure delay
(b) by finding the dirst statistically significant cross-correlation.
Now the issue is to identify r and s where r is the prder of the
numerator or input polynomial and s is the order of the denominator or
output lag polynomial.

If the cross correlations can be characterized as following a pattern
then the order of that pattern is a clue as to the order of the
denominator or output lag. Sometimes this is obfuscated (clouded) by
unuusal values in the "beginning" cross-correlation. These unusual
values represent the order of the numerator polynomial.

I would suggest using a statistical package like AUTOBOX or SAS or
GAUSS or one of your own making to simulate various states of nature
and examine the sample cross-correlations in order to pursue this. By
simulation you are controlling the process ( no outliers , small input
variance ) thus it will be quite clear as to how the sample
cross-correlation speaks to the the issue of Transfer Model
identification.

AUTOBOX deals with the outliers so that they have minimal effect on
the r,s,b identification.

I would be glad to chat with you and give you some more pointers on
this issue ...but I would prefer dialogue rather than monologue. At a
minimium please visit the AFS website  ( http://www.autobox.com )

Dave Reilly