On 15 Oct 2001 07:44:33 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Warren) wrote:

> Dear group,
> It seems to me that the one issue here is that when we
> measure something, then that measure should have some
> meaning that is relevant to the study hypotheses.
> And that meaning should be interpretable so that the width
> of the CI does have meaning...why would you want to estimate
> the mean if it is "meaningless"?

This reminds me that data analysts sometimes can help
to make outcomes more transparent.  "Scaled scores"
of Likert-like items are intelligible when presented as Item-averages,
instead of being Scale-totals for varying numbers of items.

You can describe the relevant anchors for 2.5  versus 3.0,
for group contrasts, change scores, or contrasts between
different scales -- and not get into confusion of how many
items were added for each total.

I do think that standardized outcomes are usually appropriate
to communicate the size of the outcome effect --
even when the measure is fairly well known.

This discussion leads me to conclude that you absolutely
need to describe your sample *more*  thoroughly
when you are stuck with using standardized measures
to describe all your outcomes.  How variable is this group?
How extreme is this group and sample (if it is a clinical trial)?
A small N is  especially problematic, since you do want
to show how narrowly (or not) it was selected.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html