Some of those who think that estimation of the size of effects is more
important than the testing of a nil hypothesis of no effect argue that we
would be better served by reporting a confidence interval for the size of
the effect.  Such confidence intervals are, in my experience, most often
reported in terms of the original unit of measure for the variable involved.
When the unit of measure is arbitrary, those who are interested in
estimating the size of effects suggest that we do so with standardized
estimates.  It seems to me that it would be useful to present confidence
intervals in standardized units.

As an example, consider the research described on pages 209 and 210 of the
fifth edition of David Howell's Statistical Methods for Psychology.
Homophobic and nonhomophobic men are compared on a measure of sexual arousal
when viewing a video containing explicit man to man erotic content.  The
unit of measure for the arousal variable is not meaningful to most persons,
so Howell recommends that the effect size be presented in standardized
units.  The effect size, by the way, was .62 (with homophobic men being more
aroused), which strikes me as being a medium to large sized difference.
Howell opined that a 95% confidence interval is not very informative in this
case, because the unit of measure is arbitrary.  The confidence interval
extends from 1.46 to 13.54.  That really does not tell us much, does it --
other than that the value of zero is not included.  Howell suggested that
the confidence interval was less useful than a standardized estimate of
effect size in this case.

Now consider standardizing that confidence interval.  I simply divided each
of the confidence limits by the pooled standard error (12) to obtain a
confidence interval extending from 0.12 to 1.13.  That is, in standard
deviations units, we are 95% confident that the mean is somewhere between
0.12 (small, maybe even trivial) to 1.13 (huge).   IMHO opinion, this is
much more useful than just the standardized point estimate of effect size or
the nonstandardized confidence interval.

Why don't people report standardized confidence intervals in situations like
this?

Karl L. Wuensch, Department of Psychology,
East Carolina University, Greenville NC  27858-4353
Voice:  252-328-4102     Fax:  252-328-6283
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/klw.htm