It won't work in the following sense. Suppose that you run a regression of
y on x trying to estimate a relationship of the form y=a+bx+u. Further
suppose that y(t)=y(t-1)+e1(t) and x(t)=x(t-1)+e2(t), so both processes
are integrated. Further, suppose that e1 and e2 are independent and thus
there is no relationship between y and x.  you have
estimated your coefficient b and trying to test that b=0. Now the main
part: you will discover that coefficient value is very small
but t-statistic is very large imposing that b is
not zero. The problem with integrated regressors is that t-statistic
diverges to infinity as sample size increases when y and x are
independent.
Further, in the case of integrated regressors and dependent variables the
asymptotic distribution of coefficients is no longer normal.

So, "won't work" means that you cannot test the relationship between
variables using standard tools (F tests) when you have integrated
variables.

Now the intuition. Consider two time series: 1) US GDP,
2) cummulative amount of rain in Brazil. You can think that these series
are independent, but try to run 2 on 1 and you will have very
significant coefficients.

Now, what to read. you can try any modern textbook on time series. My
recommendation White "Asymptotic Theory for Econometricians" or Davidson
"Econometric Theory"