In article <9r4nbg$dka$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, I may have not explained myself very clearly, or understood what you
>really meant, in which case I apologize in advance.
>Now, here is what I mean when I say that standard procedures shouldn't work
>with integrated processes.
>If X is non stationary, and if the regression equation is true, Y is non
>stationary too.
>The OLS slope estimator is (X'X)(-1) X'Y
>If the X is generated by an integrated process, (X'X) will not be convergent
>in probability, nor will X'Y.

That's true, but why is it a problem?  Since X is non-stationary, you will
get data over a larger and larger range as time increases.  Having data over
a large range is GOOD.  It lets you pin down the regression coefficients
more easily.

>In the case of Y and X being two independent random walks, the mean of
>(XX)(-1)X'Y can be calculated using Wiener distribution theory however, and
>it is not zero (it looks very bad). The t-stat for slope is not zero either.
>The variance of both slope estimator and t-stats are much higher than
>standard theory forecast, and, what is even worse, do not decrease as sample
>size increase.

If Y = a + b*X + i.i.d. noise, X and Y can't be independent random walks.
If the noise is not independent, then you need to account for that when
computing the standard error.

  Radford Neal

Radford M. Neal                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Statistics and Dept. of Computer Science [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Toronto                     http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~radford