In a discussion about the desired direction of development of intro
level statistics courses, a group where I am a member came to a
preliminary agreement that It is important to develop applied
statistics. I started to think about that concept in terms of main goals
of a course. The two main goals I suggest are

1. abilities to use statistics in scientific work
2. ability to study statistics further

So nr. 1 is the goal that concerns the "applied" part. So I went one
step further to try to express aspects of this, and I call it the
USABILITY aspects of the introductory course. I know that this word
is used in the context of evaluating web applications. Now to my
questions: Can anybody direct me to an article or book that
discusses usability oin the context of knowledge? Is there a better
direction to follow when discussing the usefulness/applicability of
statistics skills and knowledge?

Rolf Dalin

Rolf Dalin
Department of Information Tchnology and Media
Mid Sweden University
S-870 51 SUNDSVALL
Sweden
Phone: 060 148690, international: +46 60 148690
Fax: 060 148970, international: +46 60 148970
Mobile: 0705 947896, intnational: +46 70 5947896

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.itk.mh.se/~roldal/