Really sorry.

My formula is a rearrangement of the confidence interval formula shown below
for ascertaining the maximum error.

E = Z(a/2) x SD/SQRT N

The issue is you want to solve for N, but you have no standard deviation
value.

The formula then translates into n = (Z(a/2)*SD)/E)^2    Note: ^2 stands for
squared.

You have only the confidence interval, let's say 95% and E of 1%.  Lets say
that you want to find out how many people in the US have fake drivers
licenses using these numbers. How large (N) must your sample be?

Do you have to hypothesize a US population to solve this, ie. 300 m or can
you solve it another way. It was suggested you can express the SD as a
fraction of the E. ie. E = SD/2.