Gus Gassmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in sci.stat.edu:
>Stan Brown wrote:
>> "The manufacturer of a patent medicine claims that it is 90%
>> effective(*) in relieving an allergy for a period of 8 hours. In a
>> sample of 200 people who had the allergy, the medicine provided
>> relief for 170 people. Determine whether the manufacturer's claim
>> was legitimate, to the 0.01 significance level."

>> But -- and in retrospect I should have seen it coming -- some
>> students framed the hypotheses so that the alternative hypothesis
>> was "the drug is effective as claimed." They had
>>         Ho: p <= .9; Ha: p > .9; p-value = .9908.
>
>I don't understand where they get the .9908 from.

x=170, n=200, p'=.85, Ha: p>.9, alpha=.01
z = -2.357
On TI-83, normalcdf(-2.357,1E99) = .9908; i.e., 99.08% of the area
is above z = -2.357.

                                          http://oakroadsystems.com
My reply address is correct as is. The courtesy of providing a correct
reply address is more important to me than time spent deleting spam.