Dr. Gallagher and Edstat newsgroup:
Here's my take on the MCAS and boxplots.

(1) I agree with Eugene Gallagher and others in that the question about
boxplots on the MCAS is poor, since the correct answer depends on whether
you learned the "Tukey" boxplot (that indicates outliers) or the "quick"
boxplot (that ignores the possibility of outlers and merely extends the
whiskers to the minimum and maximum).  It is typical in college-level stat
texts to use the Tukey boxplot, but I believe (I may be wrong) that
high-school level books tend to use the "quick" boxplot.

(2) Gallagher is correct in that most standard software packages (such as
SPSS, SAS, S-plus/R, Minitab?) construct the "Tukey" boxplot.  However I
have not seen anyone mention the fact that the TI-83 graphing calculator
can actually construct either of the two types of boxplots.  In the
StatPlot menu, the TI-83 has a Boxplot option (for what TI-83 calls a
"regular" boxplot that I refer to as a "quick" boxplot) and a ModBoxplot
option (this is a "modified" or Tukey boxplot).  I believe this is
pertinent because I assume that many secondary math classes use TI calculators.

(3) My solution in my Introduction to Statistics class, therefore, is to
discuss both kinds of boxplots.  I use the Moore/McCabe text, which
describes the Tukey boxplot.  However, since many of my students will be
teaching at the middle-school or high-school level, I also point out the
existence of the "quick" boxplot.  I do stress that the Tukey boxplot is
superior, since it indicates potential outliers.

(4) If the Massachusetts Department of Education really wants to include a
boxplot item on the test, it should either be a multiple choice question
written so that the correct answer is the same no matter which type of
boxplot one was taught, or an open-ended question where the students
actually create boxplots for 2 data sets and compare/contrast the 2
distributions.  The readers then should be aware of both types of boxplots
when assessing the question.

That's my two cents, anyway

Chris Mecklin

Christopher J. Mecklin, PhD