"Glen Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Stan Brown wrote:
> > But is it worth it? Don't the "easy graders" and :"tough graders"
> > pretty much cancel each other out anyway?
>
> Not if some students only get hard graders and some only get easy
> graders.
>
> If all students got all graders an equal amount of time it probably
> won't matter at all.
>
> Glen

    If some graders use the whole scale and others only use part of the
scale or concentrate grades near the centre, then using raw scores means you
are giving the full scale graders more weight in the overall ranking of
students. If this is undesirable, grades could be scaled to a common mean
and equal mean deviation.  (Standard deviation would give increased weight
to extremes of the scale.)
In all these adjustments, we lose transparency of the process and this must
be weighed against the gains. I suspect that only sharp contrasts between
the behaviour of the graders and/or different students having different sets
of graders would justify this, and may well be better dealt with by
instructing the graders appropriately after pointing out that it is
desirable for all graders to have equal weight in assessment.