-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Cryer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 9:14 AM
To: David Heiser
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Excel2000- the same errors in stat. computations and graphics

David:

I have certainly never said nor implied that Excel cannot produce reasonably
good graphics. My concern is that it makes it so easy to produce poor
graphics. The defaults are absurd and should never be used. It seems to me that
defaults should produce at least something useful. The default graphs are certainly not good
business graphs if the intent is to produce good visual display of quantitative information!
Isn't that what graphs are for?
[David Heiser]

The EXCEL chart defaults are as you say are poor, for an audience/users of statisticians/scientists/engineers. Even going to the effort to make a lot of changes to the defauts, you never really get an outstanding graph, like you would find in a professional publication.

The default charts are specifically set-up for the type of business applications (i.e. sales, gross income, expenses, operating costs, salesmen performances, product distributions, etc.), in which bar and column charts appear to be meaningful and the presentation of 3D graphs impressive (at least for a late 1980's audience). The Microsoft User's manual clearly identifies the audience for which EXCEL charts were developed for. This user/audience is essentially the same one that ACCESS was written for. The chart defaults generate useful charts for management and tracking of product sales and sales efforts.

What we have now is an entirely different user/audience using EXCEL to do something it was never designed to do.

The EXCEL ToolPak pack represents the way things were done and viewed in the 1980's. Essentially it is a 20 year old package, that never has been updated. In 2002 we have been exposed to the tremendously impressive game displays and the capability of the many (new) statistical software programs, and now want better graphics.

I don't think that Microsoft will improve the graphics, leaving it to the developers to create and market separate programs and add-ones to EXCEL to give better graphics. I don't think Office XP (EXCEL 2002) is any different from EXCEL version 5.0.

What would be helpful, would be an EXCEL front end for a developer computation package that would in turn generate a standard interface to separate graphics packages. In a competitive world, there would be interface standards, so that one could buy and separate software packages. However again cost enters in, and EXCEL as a stand-alone package is for most users the economic choice. So we have to accept the poor EXCEL graphics and computational limitations, because in many business's they only have the Microsoft Office application, and under their ground rules (and usage/liscensing requirements), you have to use their EXCEL for any computations and presentations. This is the environment, I have had to work in.

Then on top of it you have such schools as the University of Phoenix who teach undergraduate stat as a course in using EXCEL only.