On 15 Feb 2002 14:38:49 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (AP) wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I would appreciate your help in solving this question.
>
> calculate the standard deviation of a sample where the mean and
> standard deviation from the process are provided?
> E.g. Process mean = 150; standard deviation = 20. What is the SD for
> a sample of 25?  The answer suggested is 4.0

Here is a vocabulary distinction.   Or error.
I don't know if you are repeating the problem wrong, or
you are speaking from a tradition that I am not familiar with.

As I am familiar with it, statisticians say that
"the standard deviation"  is the "standard deviation of the sample."

We say that the "standard deviation of the sample *mean*"
will be frequently referred to as the "standard error";  and
"The SD of the mean [or the SE] equals SD/sqrt(N)".

That is confusing enough.
I hope this makes your sources clear.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]