On 18 Feb 2002 16:29:27 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wuzzy) wrote:

> > You should take note that R^2  is *not*  a very good measure
> > of 'effect size.'
>
> Hi Rich, you asked to see my data,

 - I don't remember doing that -

>                                                i've posted the visual at the
> following location http://www.accessv.com/~joemende/insulin2.gif note
> that the r^2 is low despite the fact that it agrees with common sense:
>  Insulin levels are shown here to decrease with increasing exercise as
> well as with decreasing food intake..   My r^2 is low but i think it
> is clear that the above is true..
>
> I've included several different views, "rating" is in MET values, i
> forgot to multiply against body weight in kg to get KCAL spent per
> day..

If the scattergram is meaningful, blue-ish and to the right, then
the big, 3-D shaded bar-graph to the left may be thoroughly
misleading.  I assume that the plane imposed on both represents
the regression.

Do the dots in the scattergram mean something?
I  make sense of them;  but then the bars seem to be a
bad and misleading choice of plotting something-or-other.
The bars are an apparent picture of something greater
than  R^2  of 2% -- so I am sure they don't represent *that*
relationship in a proper way.

My tentative conclusion is that your 2%  effect  really
is a small one; it should be difficult to discern among
likely artifacts; and therefore, it is hardly worth mentioning....

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html