At 01:39 PM 2/27/02 -0600, Jay Warner wrote:

> > >Not stressful 1__ 2__ 3__ 4__ 5__ 6__ 7__ Very stressful

just out of curiosity ... how many consider the above to be an example of a
bipolar scale?

i don't

now, if we had an item like:

sad .... happy
1 .... ..... 7

THEN the mid point becomes much more problematic ...

since being a 4 ... is neither a downer nor upper

now, a quick search found info from ncs about the 16pf personality scale
... it shows 16 BIpolar dimensions as:

Bipolar Dimensions of Personality
Factor A Warmth (Cool vs Warm)
Factor B Intelligence (Concrete Thinking vs Abstract Thinking)
Factor C Emotional Stability (Easily Upset vs Calm)
Factor E Dominance (Not Assertive vs Dominant)
Factor F Impulsiveness (Sober vs Enthusiastic)
Factor G Conformity (Expedient vs Conscientious)
Factor H Boldness (Shy vs Venturesome)
Factor I Sensitivity (Tough-Minded vs Sensitive)
Factor L Suspiciousness (Trusting vs Suspicious)
Factor M Imagination (Practical vs Imaginative)
Factor N Shrewdness (Forthright vs Shrewd)
Factor O Insecurity (Self-Assured vs Self-Doubting)
Factor Q1 Radicalism (Conservative vs Experimenting)
Factor Q2 Self-Sufficiency (Group-Oriented vs Self-Sufficient)
Factor Q3 Self-Discipline (Undisciplined vs Self-Disciplined)
Factor Q4 Tension (Relaxed vs Tense)

let's take the one ... shy versus venturesome ...

now, we could make a venturesome scale by itself ...

0 venturesomeness ...... (up to) .... very venturesome 7

does 0 = shy???? seems like if the answer is no ... then we might have a
bipolar scale ... if the answer is yes ... then we don't

>  It could be the use of the particular bipolars
> > "not stressful" and "very stressful."

Dennis Roberts, 208 Cedar Bldg., University Park PA 16802
<Emailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
WWW: http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm
AC 8148632401