Scott David Daniels wrote:

>I understand that properties and decorators look like obscure magic.
>I ask you to suspend judgment on those (an act of faith), until you
>understand why such features seriously assist the readability of code
>and designs.  This act of faith can be based on a respect for the
>obvious effort somebody has gone to in other ways to make Python such
>a clear and simple language.

No faith.  If that were me I'd be writing  "protected" before my methods
knowing there was a damn good reason for it. That I was practicing good
objected oriented design.  And that I was solving a problem I just
didn't happen to know I had, but most assuredly did.

If language design decisions were not all about trade-offs, language
design would be easy.  It would be as silly for me to suggest that
properties and decorators do not bring advantages as it would be for you
to suggest that those advantages come for free.

My argument though is with you, not Guido.  It is about use cases for
existing features, not about the features themselves.  And in the
particular case of properties, it was only in going back to Guido's own
use case illustration that I begin to develop some comfort with why
properties are there - why they are a neat solution to a limited set of
problems.  I understand them now more in  terms  of  something akin to
a GUI event, or a SQL trigger.  You  have a need  to know  when
something  attempts to set or  get  a particular attribute. The relation
to the actual attribute might be tenous.  It's an event.  It might begin
a process that sends an e-mail to Mary. Who knows what. Its all quite
practical and tangible stuff, though.

It has nothing yet, in my mind, to do with decoupling anything from
anything else as a matter of good OOP design.

And to the extent you feel properties are well used in that regard, than
you are developing your own use cases which may or may not be similar to
Guido's ideas and implicit in the design of the language. And I guess I
am suggesting you are suggesting too much by suggesting otherwise.

Art

Am I making any sense whatever?

Art

 But I still don't see the connection to XP programming, API design