Hello,

I've been using Python for about 7 or 8 years now to introduce my 10th graders to programming, and I've been quite happy with it. We start out with a week of Scratch and a week of RUR-PLE (which I love) before moving on to about 3 weeks of Python. Obviously they don't become experts in that time frame, my goal is to just give them a taste of programming.

I've tried various Python environments and graphics libraries over the years -- IDLE with livewires, IDLE with the cs1graphics package, JES, vpython -- and they all have their virtues and pitfalls, at least for my application. I've recently become aware of Processing and am really intrigued. Here are some advantages I see:

 * some fun lessons on khanacademy to get started (a processing library
   for javascript, actually)
 * very easy installation, nice simple IDE
 * graphical from day 1, very easy interaction with mouse
 * there's a great book on using processing with Kinect (Making Things
   See, from O'Reilly) and I think I can demo and talk about some cool
   stuff from that

The obvious downsides to me are:

 * no RUR-PLE
 * overall, Processing just isn't as real-world useful as Python

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with experience in teaching Processing to this age group, and anyone with any thoughts on the topic.

Thanks,
Andy Judkis
Academy of Allied Health and Science
Neptune, NJ