This looks like a possible approach to for a parent to engage an older
child in using a computer to explore math.
http://www.wiredacademic.com/2012/12/jonathan-mugan-teaching-your-child-to-hack-math/

"This embodiment of math in programming enables your child to poke and
prod math like it is a living thing, allowing learning to happen
through experimentation."

"Your child can also use programming to build a math toolkit that will
be useful  later. This toolkit can be used to check homework and do
class projects. When your child learns a new algorithm in school, such
as long division, he or she can program the algorithm in Python and
use it to check intermediate computations. Having access to this
toolkit and the ability to expand it will foster a habit of
computational thinking. Your child can grow to be like a digital
sorcerer casting spells and learning new ones."

comments?
Note my previous postg was related but I had forgotten to add a subject.