Hello all

Please keep me posted regarding the use of Edubuntu in libraries. I would love to hear about the problems/benefits of using it in a library, especially the academic environment.

-Aaron

Zeb Smith wrote:

Hello all. I work for the Newton Falls Public Library as Systems Administrator. I’m very strongly considering using Edubuntu on the public computers here. I have already switched to OpenOffice and various other open source applications…. but the machines still run Windows as the OS. My main concern about switching to Linux is that with Windows, I can lock down settings such as web browser configuration, desktop backgrounds and such so that patrons can not tamper with them. I’ve been using kubuntu on my own computers for some time now, but have not found a way to configure it similarly. If anyone can offer insight on this, the advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you

W. Zebulon Smith

Systems Manager

Newton Falls Public Library

204 South Canal Street

Newton Falls, OH 44444-1694

Phone: (330)872-1282

Fax: (330)872-9153

www.newtonfalls.org

--
D. Aaron Germ
Scarborough Library, Shepherd University

"Well then what am I supposed to do with all my creative ideas- take a bath and wash myself with them? 'Cause that is what soap is for" (Peter, Family Guy)