On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 10:53 -0600, Gary Cziko wrote:
> can I set up my Ubuntu office machine to be accessible remotely both
> via  the Remote Desktop client software built into XP an via a web
> browser?

Hi Gary,

If you install the vnc-java package (multiverse) you will only need a
java-enabled web browser to access your machine remotely as described
here:
    http://www.realvnc.com/javavncviewer.html

Note that this uses vncserver, which is different to the 'Remote
Desktop' in the ubuntu menu (which is the vino-server package).

I've used this on a firewalled LAN, you should research the security
implications of running vncserver on an internet connected PC for long
periods.

Cheers, Dave.
--
David Symons