Steve Hargadon skrev:
On 3/13/06, Trond Mæhlum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have looked at the upcoming Skolelinux 2.0, but I can't get the ltsp
setup to work. So my question is where is the Dapper release of Edubuntu
today and what would it support.

I just got back from the CUE.org show in Palm Springs, where we set up
a 48-computer thin client lab to demonstrate to educators.  We used
two identical servers, one with FC4 and one with Ubuntu running thin
client (we use a "booter" machine that just performs the boot
functions and then directs to the appropriate server, running the
Symbiont program with it's easy Webmin interface).

Interesting... We do exactly the same. We also boot all our terminals of the same bootserver, and then direct them to the login-server which provide the applications. We have a seperate Skolelinux mainserver with ldap for authentication and datastorage.

Identical servers, both with 2 GB ram and dual 2GHz Xeon processors
and each providing applications, authentication, and data storage to
24 computers.  Unfortunately, Ubuntu ran much slower than FC4.  We
think it's because the Ubuntu smp kernel may not support
hyperthreading.  I was going to bring this up to the list today
anyway.

Also interesting. We also use dual Xeon 3GHz with 2GB RAM. Speed has never been an issue, but stability is. After the move from FC3 to FC4 we have experienced a lot of trouble. Three things come to mind: printqueues in cups stop, the nfs service dies and several times a week the server just blacks out and must be rebooted. The servers are all HP DL 380's. I've ruled out hardware malfunction since it happens on all 15 servers and it didn't happen on FC3. The servers are all yum updated.

Therefore I'm now turning away from FC4 and looking towards Ubuntu.

Trond

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon