Sorry my mistake:

I think those might be ISA sound cards in your Dell. which means they
will not autodetect.

I found that adding the following in lts.conf worked on some old Dell
optiplexes for me:

SOUND = Y
SOUND_DAEMON = "esd"

Instead of this line:

SMODULE_01 = "sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

This is what worked for me:

SMODULE_01 = "cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9"

I told you the wrong thing previously, for a soundblaster card. Many of the old Dells have Crystal cs4232 chipsets.

I must add though that this is on a K12LTSP box which is vanilla
LTSP; very different to the Edubuntu approach. Still, may be worth a
try.

Also make sure the sound card is enabled in the BIOS!

cheers
ed

tried and failed, I'll look into filing a bug i think and try to get LDA
working for us in the mean time.