Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:25:08 +0100
From: i...@sitco.at
To: efw-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Efw-user] firewall rules are hard to use

Hi
"oneforall"

I do not
understand your problem with Source and Destination NAT 100%? This is realy
quite simple, just enter NAT in google and you will get perfect detailed
information about DNAT ans SNAT. This is nothing developed by Endian. "DNAT is
technique for transparently changing the destination IP address of an en-route
packet and performing the inverse function for any replies." And "A common
definition for Source NAT is the counterpart of Destination NAT (DNAT)." So
in Destination NAT the DESTINATION IP is changed and in Source NAT the SOURCE
IP
is changed!!?? So the explanation is already part of the name =))

I think
for what to use DNAT is clear, right? Publishing a single Service or
server to the www  is one possible
usage...
For SNAT
(or better let's talk from SourceNAT 'cause SNAT can have other meanings
aswell)
one possible scenario could be that you would like a webserver in Zone orange
send it's packets over external IP1 while the pcs in green zone use
external IP2. In this case efw would have to translate all ips coming from
network orange and green. In efw this would look like this:

Source:
NetworkIP from your orange Zone which you would like to be
transformed
Target:
Uplink main (red)
Service/Port: ALL (or just the services/ports you
need)
NAT: NAT
(--> telling efw that it must translate the packets)
Sourceadress: Uplink main - IP: IP1

Source:
NetworkIP from your green Zone which you would like to be
transformed
Target:
Uplink main (red)
Service/Port: ALL (or just the services/ports you
need)
NAT: NAT
(--> telling efw that it must translate the packets)
Sourceadress: Uplink main - IP: IP2

From
outside your network it will look like as your webserver is responding from IP1
and all your PCs from IP2 =) That's not damn hard to understand, right? As it
sounds for me you can ignore Incoming routed traffic: you won't need
it!

Give yourself a overview looking at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

cu