On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:18:22 +1300
Dave Koelmeyer <dave.koelme...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz> wrote:

> On 01/14/12 05:29 AM, Genghis Khan wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:31:10 +0200
> > Genghis Khan<genghisk...@gmx.ca>  wrote:
> >
> >> Add a menu item in the Help menu which will say "Auto-build a
> >> report" "Analise and send" or "anything else", which will prompt
> >> the user to a dialog which will explain shortly what is this
> >> feature, what does it do and so on... and it will tell to the user
> >> that Ekiga is going to restart itself and will generate a debug
> >> file and there will be a link to the Users Mailing List or to both
> >> Users (Help) and Devel (Development) Mailing Lists.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts?
>
> Well, I couldn't implement such a feature, but sounds good to me.

Should this be realized into a script? (as a separate command)
$ ekiga-debug

The script will display a box with instructions in the following manner:

|  -----------  ----------------------------------------  |
|  |         |  |Welcome to the Debugging Tool of Ekiga|  |
|  | Icon of |  |                                      |  |
|  |  Ekiga  |  |   TEXT                               |  |
|  |         |  |   TEXT                               |  |
|  -----------  |   ...                                |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               ----------------------------------------  |
|-------------------------------------------------------- |
|  □ Advanced View           | Cancel | Back | Forward |  |

Maybe better to make it look like the Configuration Assistant.

Instructions like.

$ ekiga-debug
Error: Ekiga is running. Close Ekiga and try again.

On the Welcome dialog:
Close Ekiga
Run the command (ekiga-debug)
Repeat the steps that caused to the problem.
Exit Ekiga

Or maybe even something like this:

(Dialog has started)
(The user is clicking on Next, while Ekiga is still running)
Message: Ekiga is running, would you like to close it? (yes/no)

(Closing Ekiga ... ... ...)

Ekiga doesn't seem to be closing, would you like to terminate the
process Ekiga? (yes/no)

(Killing Ekiga...)

etc.

The script will compress the output (text) in whatever archiving format
available (7z, gzip, tar, zip).

The output will contain the version of Ekiga and date:
Ekiga-3.3.2_YYYY-MM-DD.tar.gz

A message of where the file was saved to.

Enabling □ Advanced View will show the log writing in action in an
embedded terminal within the dialog.
$ tail -f Ekiga-3.3.2_YYYY-MM-DD.log

Maybe some grep actions? or whatever on your mind.