On 02/02/12 09:08, Genghis Khan wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:18:22 +1300
Dave Koelmeyer<dave.koelme...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>  wrote:

On 01/14/12 05:29 AM, Genghis Khan wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:31:10 +0200
Genghis Khan<genghisk...@gmx.ca>   wrote:

Add a menu item in the Help menu which will say "Auto-build a
report" "Analise and send" or "anything else", which will prompt
the user to a dialog which will explain shortly what is this
feature, what does it do and so on... and it will tell to the user
that Ekiga is going to restart itself and will generate a debug
file and there will be a link to the Users Mailing List or to both
Users (Help) and Devel (Development) Mailing Lists.

Any thoughts?

Well, I couldn't implement such a feature, but sounds good to me.

Should this be realized into a script? (as a separate command)
$ ekiga-debug

The script will display a box with instructions in the following manner:

|  -----------  ----------------------------------------  |
|  |         |  |Welcome to the Debugging Tool of Ekiga|  |
|  | Icon of |  |                                      |  |
|  |  Ekiga  |  |   TEXT                               |  |
|  |         |  |   TEXT                               |  |
|  -----------  |   ...                                |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               |                                      |  |
|               ----------------------------------------  |
|-------------------------------------------------------- |
|  □ Advanced View           | Cancel | Back | Forward |  |

Maybe better to make it look like the Configuration Assistant.

Instructions like.

$ ekiga-debug
Error: Ekiga is running. Close Ekiga and try again.

On the Welcome dialog:
Close Ekiga
Run the command (ekiga-debug)
Repeat the steps that caused to the problem.
Exit Ekiga

Or maybe even something like this:

(Dialog has started)
(The user is clicking on Next, while Ekiga is still running)
Message: Ekiga is running, would you like to close it? (yes/no)

(Closing Ekiga ... ... ...)

Ekiga doesn't seem to be closing, would you like to terminate the
process Ekiga? (yes/no)

(Killing Ekiga...)

etc.

The script will compress the output (text) in whatever archiving format
available (7z, gzip, tar, zip).

The output will contain the version of Ekiga and date:
Ekiga-3.3.2_YYYY-MM-DD.tar.gz

A message of where the file was saved to.

Enabling □ Advanced View will show the log writing in action in an
embedded terminal within the dialog.
$ tail -f Ekiga-3.3.2_YYYY-MM-DD.log

Maybe some grep actions? or whatever on your mind.

Sorry to answer so late.

Your idea about informing users is good. There are several cases where user is not guided to find out the error or help him.

Using a shell script is not a good idea, since it will not work on Windows.

I have to think more on it, I put it on my TODO list.

--
Eugen