It is only sometimes visible, but even when it is visible, the menu items
and answer call buttons are greyed out.

-Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: ekiga-list [mailto:ekiga-list-boun...@gnome.org] On Behalf Of Eugen
Dedu
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 12:37 PM
To: Ekiga mailing list
Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga rings, but no buttons or menu items let me
answer the call

On 17/05/13 20:53, Stuart D Gathman wrote:
> On 05/17/2013 12:34 PM, Greg Ferber expounded in part:
>>
>> This has happened to me several times recently. Ekiga is connected, I
>> can place calls if so desired, and someone calls me. I get the
>> ringing sound, but none of the buttons or menu entries will let me
>> pick up the call.
>>
>> Windows 7 x64, Ekiga 4.0.1, using SIP (specifically SimpleSignal
>> service, which uses BroadSoft, in case that matters)
>>
>> Any clues?
>>

> Heh. This is a big problem. I thought Windows was supposed to pop up
> the call window instead of using notifiers? On unix desktops with
> notifiers,

Indeed, it is strange that the call window is not automatically shown on
Windows.

Isn't the call window shown?  Is it never shown or only sometimes?

> ekiga pops up a notifier with Accept and Reject buttons.
> Unfortunately,
> 2 out of 4 desktop systems tested have broken notifiers, so that you
> can't answer calls on those desktops either. Working desktops so far
> in Fedora are gnome-shell and mate (cinnamon and gnome-fallback are
broken).

> I've been campaigning for the developers to make always using the Call
> window a config option, instead of relying the desktop environment to
> tell the truth about whether buttons on notifiers are supported
> (cinnamon lies) and assuming they actually work.

You are not alone, I have compaigned too, but I was told that the
notification is better visually :)  Maybe we can add a command line switch,
or a gconf (!) key for that?

> It is good to try to support notifiers by default, since that is more
> elegant, and integrated with the desktop. But being able to fall back
> to the call window without recompiling would be great.

It is supposed to fallback.  If it does not happen, the problem is surely in
notification implementation, not in ekiga.

--
Eugen