> The EC2 plugin doesn't mess with networking settings, so the behaviour
> you're describing is weird.

I got the same behaviour when /var/lib/elasticsearch/elasticsearch was a
dangling symlink to /mnt/var/lib/elasticsearch/elasticsearch (from an
experiment done in a previous run of the EC2 instance with indexing to
/dev/xvdb ), so I thought it might be storage related...?

> After ES starts, can you connect to it via `curl localhost:9200`?

Well, I did
 telnet localhost 9200
instead.

But no success there.

> Also, don't use the now deprecated S3 gateway, apart maybe from strictly
> testing purposes -- it's unsupported and unpredictable.

Ah, Ok.  Is there something else I could use instead when I run out of
space on the instance itself?  Because I fill up the disk on the
instance pretty quickly.

I did an experiment indexing to the non-persistent /dev/xvdb "disk", and
that worked fine wrt. to storage size and feeding rate.  But this isn't
something that can be used with EC2 instances that are stopped and
started on demand.

> As suggested by Ross, maybe it takes time to ping all the instances in your
> AWS account -- do you set the `discovery.ec2.groups` settings to filter the
> list?

Right! I will try giving it more time.

Thanks!