> How long did you wait after starting with AWS settings before checking the
> lsof output?

A minute or two or three, or maybe five.  In any case much longer than
the normal ES startup time on the EC2 instance.

> I've found that startup time on AWS can be quite slow, due to the fact
> that ES is describing all your instances and looking for other ES
> instances to cluster with.  If you have a lot of instances, this could
> take quite a while.

Ok, thanks!  I will try giving it a bit longer time and see what happens.

> I'd suggest enabling the logging as described here:
>  http://www.elasticsearch.org/tutorials/elasticsearch-on-ec2/
> Then watch the logs as the node comes up.  There may be some clues there as
> to what's going on.

Thanks for the heads up!  Looking at the verbosity logging was my next
angle of approach, becuse what I found in the logs wasn't very
informative.  It looked like a successful startup (except nothing was
listening on port 9200).