So it seems not to be on the server side but on the client side. It doesn't
seem to connect to a server, and brings some sort of local instance up.
Within the searchContext-elasticsearch.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"; xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
    xmlns:elasticsearch="
http://www.springframework.org/schema/data/elasticsearch";
    xmlns:repository="http://www.springframework.org/schema/data/repository";
    xsi:schemaLocation="
http://www.springframework.org/schema/data/elasticsearch
http://www.springframework.org/schema/data/elasticsearch/spring-elasticsearch-1.0.xsd
http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-3.1.xsd
        http://www.springframework.org/schema/data/repository
http://www.springframework.org/schema/data/repository/spring-repository.xsd
">

 <elasticsearch:node-client id="client" cluster-name="search-cluster"  >

    <bean id="elasticsearchTemplate"

class="org.springframework.data.elasticsearch.core.ElasticsearchTemplate">
        <constructor-arg name="client" ref="client" />
    </bean>

    <bean id="generalElasticsearchTemplate"
class="com.vouchd.search.core.GeneralElasticsearchTemplate">
<constructor-arg index="0" ref="client" />
</bean>

    <elasticsearch:repositories base-package="com.vouchd.search.repository"
        repository-impl-postfix="Impl"

factory-class="com.vouchd.search.repository.ElasticsearchRepositoryFactoryBean"
/>
</beans>

How can I make this section read from a specific file to load the mappings?
I've also tried passing the settings path through the jvm settings.