The preflight checklist is misleading in several statements:

- you can not "accidentally join" clusters because of multicast. It happens
when using the default cluster name

- "a lot of chatter with no use" is just pure ignorance of network
technology. Multicast was designed for zero config, and I love ES for zero
config. And there is no chatter if you set up a private network for ES
hosts. That is simple with a router/switch and DHCP. Whole corporation and
datacenter networks can not live without link-local config for example.

- "you don't have to include the whole cluster" is misleading - each data
node must always be able to connect to one of the eligible master nodes, or
the cluster may not work correctly

- the "avoiding split brain" section is a very bold and wrong headline. It
is promising that split-brains can be avoided by a N/2+1 setting.
Unfortunately that is nonsense, the truth is, it lowers the risk
significantly. But there can still be obscure network splits where two
halves of a split cluster may overlap, so the condition of N/2+1 can become
true for both halves.

Why do I not count hosts/nodes? There is a difference between the number of
data nodes and master eligible nodes in a cluster. I have three master
eligible nodes and set minimum_master_nodes to 3, and that's it. After that
I can start or stop additional data nodes as much as I like.

Jörg