java -version will tell you the exact version, patch level, vendor, and
architecture of that JVM.  The tricky bit can be finding out which JVM
you're actually using (usually the value in $JAVA_HOME or `which java` will
lead you in the right direction).  If you're running your example under an
IDE, it might well be using a different JVM than the ES server.

I've had similar troubles to what you describe, but not on the localhost.
 Do you get the exception right away, or some time after starting up your
client?

Ross