Although I agree with the code transparency in principle, it isn't a sound
business idea. Scaling an OSS company on support/services revenue alone is
very linear and that's not something investors want. You also risk becoming
a consulting company, rather than a software distributor.

In the end, all successful OSS companies have a commercial component. This
is ES's first stab at it and I think it's a good one.