I confess that, at least for me, documentation, including purchased
books, remains a bit ambiguous, where the context is that of making my
ES client talk to two different servers.

In the end, I did nothing to the elasticsearch.yml files at each
server; it simply was not clear what needed to be changed.

I did present two IP addresses to the client, but nothing else. That
is, I didn't set "sniff" to true, or tell it to ignore cluster names
since each server box has just one ES installation running.

At startup, I could see that both servers were responding, but soon
they each blew up with a flurry of error messages which mean little to
me. I bet they're meaningful, except that somewhere near the top where
the initial error occurred and which is no-longer visible, perhaps
something important was stated.

The client's log file correctly stated:
connected to 10.1.10.179:9300
and
connected to 10.1.10.178:9300

but the log of the 179 server said words to this effect:
zen-disco-node_failed[...][inet 10.1.10.80:9301]

I guess I missed something: I don't have a 10.1.10.80 on that network...

On the surface, is there something obvious I missed?

Many thanks in advance for ideas.

Jack