Hi Jack,
Although I'm a bit new to this, too...

1. You should take a look at your ES log files. Depending on how you
installed and are running ES, the log files could be in different places.
If I were to guess though, you should look in the following directory
/var/log/elasticsearch/

2. One of the first things I did was to install and run elasticsearch-head
to get near-runtime visibility the status and distribution of the nodes,
indexes, shards, etc.

HTH,
Tony