Are there any ES committers on the mailing list who wouldn't mind
commenting on this issue?

If I have two different types "user" and "session", and both of them have
and "id" field, shouldn't ElasticSearch understand that those are two
different fields, and that their fully-qualified names are actually
"user.id" and "session.id"? Using only fully-qualified names in the lucene
internals seems like a straightforward way to fix the problem.

Incidentally, it looks like there's a bug-report (submitted two YEARS ago!)
here:

https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/1737

If this is the desirable behavior, then why hasn't this bug been closed as
"won't fix"? Or if it's legitimately a bug, why wasn't it fixed before
releasing 1.0? It seems like a pretty fundamental flaw in the system that
the functionality of one type can be broken by the definition of another
essentially unrelated type.

I can understand why the behavior is what it is, historically, but it seems
self-evidently like a bug. In what kind of system would this be the
desirable behavior?

Thanks!

benji