This can *absolutely* be fixed in ElasticSearch. It's not a problem
with Lucene, but with how ES data is mapped onto the Lucene data model.

The problem is that types and fields use local names instead of
fully-qualified names. As far as Lucene is concerned, there would be a
field named "user.id" mapped as a long, another field named "product.id"
mapped as a string, and a nested type named "user.address.id" mapped as an
integer. Under this kind of system, "user" and "product" can exist in the
same index, without even the possibility that their names and types would
clash.

benji