Based on posts to this newsgroup early on in my usage of ES (over a year
now!), I used to put the following in my elasticsearch.yml file. Any field
that was not explicitly assigned an analyzer and that was deemed by ES to
be a string would pick up English snowball analyzer with no stop words (my
preference at the time):

  analysis:
    analyzer:
      # set stemming analyzer with no stop words as the default
      default:
        type: snowball
        language: English
        stopwords: _none_
    filter:
      stopWordsFilter:
        type: stop
        stopwords: _none_

But since then, I've long abandoned this default approach. Instead, I
explicitly assigned an analyzer to each and every field (you know, like a
real database!). And then my elasticsearch.yml file now contains the
following:

# Do not automatically create an index when a document is loaded, and do
# not automatically index unknown (unmapped) fields:
action.auto_create_index: false
index.mapper.dynamic: false

Therefore, I cannot automatically create an index during a load (which
would then create a useless index without any of the analyzers and mappings
I've carefully crafted). And I cannot get ES to automatically create a new
field; this is very helpful when someone uses a low-level tool such as
curl, and misspells a field name; ES will no longer create, for example,
the givveName field when it should have been givenName.

Brian