On Wednesday, 5 March 2014 03:58:41 UTC, Mark Walkom wrote:

> There are rpm/deb repos
> http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/apt-and-yum-repositories/
> Otherwise you can find the sources on github

rpm packages cannot be build from github repo so this is why I'm asking
where are source tar balls.
Someone created these tar balls before rpm packages have been created ..

In above yum repo there is no any traces of source rpm packages.
In github repo there is no spec files which can be used on build rpm
packages.
(If in source tar ball is <package>.spec file such tar ball can be used to
build rpm package by for example "rpmbuild -ta <packge>-<version>.tar.gz")

Don't get me wrong but lack of officially released tar balls, files used on
build binary packages is some kind of contradiction to claim "this project
is open source" ;)
Someone build rpm packages available on download page. Question is only who
did this and why these source packages are not published on official pages?
:)

I'm not paranoid but I don't see reasons why I should trust official rpm
packages specially when I see that official rpm packages are noarch and
some of these packages contains shared object files which never should be
packaged into noarch.rpm packages.

Tomasz